Monday, July 18, 2011

A Simple Lap Quilt


This is, I know, an odd choice for the beginning of my Quilt Journal, but I just finished it and am pleased with it, although the only part that is mine is the binding.

A friend gave me a bag of fabric leftovers from her deceased mother's stash, and this large piece of specialty quilted fabric was in it - one side denim and the other side a homespun plaid, looks like, commercially quilted with a light batting inside. I don't know what Ronda's mother may have made from it, but the leftover piece trimmed to about 41 x 54 inches, perfect for a lap quilt.

I spent a pleasant hour or so rummaging in my fabric tubs for a binding fabric. Almost anything would've been fine with the denim, and I considered choosing something I knew would probably never be used elsewhere. Maybe a school print, with rulers, notepaper, apples, and such - the quilt will probably end up on the school bus anyway, to cover my special needs children on cold mornings. But I wanted even this almost-ready-made lap quilt to be special and look pretty, so I kept auditioning different pieces as I tried to match the plaid as well as the denim. I found two 10 inch pieces left from the Deer Quilt, the same pattern but one was gold and olive-brown and the other more orange and rust-brown. Perfect. I cut three 2 1/2 inch strips of each, and then cut the six strips into 12 shorter strips to alternate colors as I made the binding.

I never realized before how quickly and cheaply a good utility quilt could be made, one that can actually stand up to continuous use for a good many years, pretty yet not so special that I will need to worry about something happening to it. I'll be taking a closer look at the specialty quilted fabrics next time I am at the store.

2 comments:

  1. Love it,Judeann. Not to mention how great that it will be used by your special needs kids. Keep writing - I'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jo! I've wanted to make quilts for the bus, but they will get really hard use, so this is perfect.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...